For many people, social media and digital marketing seem like the same thing. Some believe that, since they are advertised on social networks, they are also involved in digital marketing, but this is not the case.
Digital marketing is an umbrella term that refers to all kinds of marketing strategies which a company can do digitally. Social media marketing is just one such channel used for digital marketing.
Every experienced businessman knows that in order to reach his customers, he must go to them. More than 50% of the population is active on various social networks, and according to the Upcity survey from 2022, 56% of small businesses have decided to focus on social networks. Most companies use special social media platforms to connect with customers and increase sales, as well as to promote the products or services they offer. While social media marketing is an important aspect of digital media marketing, you don’t have to strictly choose one over any other.
It is no surprise to us why social media is evolving rapidly. Facebook is still the platform of choice for small businesses because of its many features that are useful for any type of business (CTAs, business dashboard statistics, etc.). It also provides businesses with a simple platform from which to communicate with potential and current customers and provide relevant industry-related content. Many other social media platforms have not reached their goal when it comes to providing easy ways to interact with their audiences, and the sense of community that Facebook offers for companies is a guarantee for its customers.
Ivan Vislavskiy, CEO and head of production
Effective internet marketing is specific and focused. There is no need for every company to implement all possible marketing methods. Digital marketing experts understand that they can get faster and faster response from social networks compared to other types of online marketing channels. This is why most companies include it in their larger digital marketing strategy to maximize ROI.
Each type of marketing campaign is planned through actions and procedures designed to advertise a particular product, service or even company. Several online marketing channels and strategies are used and coordinated to achieve marketing goals, regardless of the type of campaign. Every marketing campaign should be able to show certain results.
The ultimate goal is always to increase sales, but that is not the only goal of digital media marketing. Some campaigns focus on increasing website traffic, while others aim to increase conversion rates. The goal setting process is a key factor that will impact the content of your digital marketing campaigns and increase the success you can achieve with your advertising.
The difference between digital marketing and social media marketing campaigns could be summarized as follows:
The purpose of digital marketing is to use various internet channels to increase profits and sales, increase brand awareness and customer loyalty, and add brand value. Digital marketing professionals typically evaluate a digital marketing plan to measure the effectiveness of their marketing as well as adjust it based on real-time information. SEO, search engine optimization and content creation tools, Google Ads, website analytics and content calendars are just some of the tools used when it comes to marketing through digital channels. The digital marketing strategy includes the following:
- Website design and development
- SEO or search engine optimization
- Organic and paid advertising
- Multiple media content on different platforms
- Marketing content
- Marketing through affiliates
- Native advertising
- Email marketing
- Social media marketing
Digital Marketing Tips: Whether you’re posting a pay-per-click ad or posting a brand new video, you need to understand the customer’s path and the best strategies to apply at every step of the process. No matter how smart your ads or content marketing are, if they are not presented to your target audience at the right time, they will not produce the results you are looking for.
Social media marketing is focused on social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, TikTok, Snapchat, LinkedIn and others. The basics of digital marketing are the same, only they apply to social networks. Marketing professionals carefully select channels to best reflect the company’s image, ensure maximum visibility, and attract those most likely to be interested in the brand’s message. Social media is a marketing plan that covers a lot, but is not limited to the following elements:
- Customer engagement is a key element of several digital marketing channels
- Conversion analytics and companion analytics
- Marketing through Influencer
- Marketing that is organic and paid
- Content planning and publishing and publishing
- Community participation through direct messages and surveys
- Analytical analysis
- Community engagement with followers
Social Marketing Tip: Social groups and communities are fantastic places to advertise special offers, content and services. Internet user communities similar to yours can help build brand awareness and offer valuable customer insights to improve your content and strategy.
Understanding your customers preferences on social networks and the way they communicate online will help you promote your services and products in an optimal way through the most appropriate digital channels. TikTok, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter are available to you with a number of digital marketing benefits:
- The ability to build brand awareness through social media can be used for targeted marketing, with the advantage of putting your business ahead of potential customers, whether or not you are in a niche.
- Generating Leads and Sales: Using social media to market and generate leads is an advanced method of expanding your internet marketing capabilities and generating more leads through ads that are either organic or paid (67% of online shoppers bought an item after seeing that is advertised on social media.)
- Improved SEO marketing campaigns on social media do not affect search engine rankings, but they can affect SEO (search engine optimization) by increasing website traffic which increases brand authority and visibility, as well as improving local SEO.
- Re-targeting: You can re-engage potential customers or potential customers if they have left your site without further entry into the customer stream, increasing your chances of conversion.
- Cost-effective: Compared to traditional marketing, the method of marketing on social networks offers greater control over budget expenditures because the data analytics available for social networks are clear and accurate.
Digital marketing is much more extensive than social media marketing. It includes pay-per-click ads and email marketing, as well as advertising and digital campaigns, branding, SEO and all other forms of marketing.
Even if you run social media campaigns, that doesn’t mean you’re fully engaged in digital marketing. However, if you can be sure that it will produce the desired results and meet your marketing requirements, that may be enough.
There is no need to incorporate all digital marketing channels into your marketing strategy. However, knowing the role that social media plays in your marketing can result in an approach that increases customer engagement and provides more organic leads. If you are busy, why not leave it to the professionals?
A skilled digital marketer can help you create an individual digital marketing plan that uses the most appropriate digital marketing channels, as well as social media platforms that suit your target audience, your business, and your budget.
Dude is a leading provider of digital marketing services. At Dude, their experts can provide comprehensive digital marketing services that include social media marketing. On average, their customers saw a 42% improvement in conversions. Click here to learn more about their results-driven services.