Stocks rebound, oil slips as Russia-Ukraine tensions ease By Reuters

Stocks rebound, oil slips as Russia-Ukraine tensions ease By Reuters

2/2

© Reuters. FILE PHOTO: A screen shows Nikkei index after a ceremony marking the end of trading in 2021 at the Tokyo Stock Exchange (TSE) in Tokyo, Japan December 30, 2021. REUTERS / Kim Kyung-Hoon

2/2

By Herbert Lash and Elizabeth Howcroft

NEW YORK / LONDON (Reuters) -Stocks in Europe and on Wall Street rebounded on Tuesday while oil prices fell after Russia indicated it was withdrawing some troops from exercises near Ukraine and President Vladimir Putin said he saw room for further discussion with the West.

Gold and bond prices also slid as safe-haven assets lost some of their appeal with tensions easing a bit over Ukraine, but NATO said it had yet to see any evidence of de-escalation.

The pared some losses as Putin and German Chancellor Olaf Scholz spoke, a sign tensions over Ukraine has not been resolved. But the index later moved lower, down 0.335%, as its safe-haven appeal also lost some luster. The euro up 0.52% to $ 1.1364.

“In the back of everybody’s minds this is not going away. Putin might be saying one thing and just waiting for the right time to make a move,” said Tom di Galoma, managing director at Seaport Global Holdings.

Major US and European stock indices rose, with megacap growth and banks leading the rally on Wall Street.

The pan-European index rose 1.41%, while MSCI’s gauge of stocks across the globe gained 1.26%.

On Wall Street, the rose 1.31%, the gained 1.50% and the added 2.07%.

US producer prices increased by the most in eight months in January, the Labor Department said, another sign that high inflation could persist through much of this year.

Longer-dated US Treasury and euro zone bond yields rose, as investors took comfort from the potential easing of tensions over Ukraine and ignored the PPI data.

The benchmark 10-year Treasury note rose 3 basis points to 2.026%. Germany’s 10-year yield touched its highest since 2018 on the day’s easing of Russia-Ukraine tensions.

It remains to be seen whether the Federal Reserve can get inflation under control by raising interest rates alone, di Galoma said.

“Every element of that number was higher than estimates.”

Investors also focused on the trajectories for major central banks to tighten monetary policy. Fed officials are split over how aggressively to raise rates.

Markets are pricing in a 65.5% chance of a 50-basis-point hike and a 34.5% chance of a 25-bps hike at the US central bank’s March meeting.

“Energy prices are still trending upwards and that makes it more difficult for central banks to move less hawkish, so we still think risk assets are under pressure going forward and yields should be going higher,” said Peter McCallum, rates strategist at Mizuho.

Oil fell from seven-year highs.

recently dropped 4.2% to $ 91.45 per barrel and was at $ 92.82, down 3.79% on the day.

Precious metals also fell, with gold slipping from a multi-month high and palladium shedding more than 5%.

dropped 1.0% to $ 1,850.93 an ounce.

Disclaimer: Fusion Media would like to remind you that the data contained in this website is not necessarily real-time nor accurate. All CFDs (stocks, indexes, futures) and Forex prices are not provided by exchanges but rather by market makers, and so prices may not be accurate and may differ from the actual market price, meaning prices are indicative and not appropriate for trading purposes. Therefore Fusion Media doesn`t bear any responsibility for any trading losses you might incur as a result of using this data.

Fusion Media or anyone involved with Fusion Media will not accept any liability for loss or damage as a result of reliance on the information including data, quotes, charts and buy / sell signals contained within this website. Please be fully informed regarding the risks and costs associated with trading the financial markets, it is one of the riskiest investment forms possible.



Source link

Leave a Reply